Inspirational Interlude
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Was doing my nightly blog-surfing and came across a post that I thought was worth linking to for my enormous reader-base. All two of you.

If you don't feel like reading the entire post, I'll give you the synopsis. Special K, hereafter SK, was away from his wife and family on a business trip. He got a call from his wife informing him of a potential problem with her father's upcoming surgery. Without the need for detail, SK apologized to his customer and caught the next plane home. All because his family needed him more than his job.

The following paragraph really stood out and made me think about being a better person:
It is times like this that we all need to do what ever it is that will make us proud. That sounds selfish in a way, but really it allows me to get outside of myself and see the end of the ordeal. In each action, will I be happy with myself over the decisions that I made? If I help ease pain where I can and I act in the best interest of others then I will be proud of myself. Sometimes that will mean doing things and saying things that soothe or sometimes hurt, but always with others’ best interest in mind. I can live or die in peace with that.
Great wisdom for living a meaningful life. This of course presumes that the person finds pride in living morally and has a solid character.

I've realized over the years that I'll only sympathize if I think the cause is worthwhile. All too often I ignore the fact that others are hurt or do intensely care, and that I may have no other use but to support them.

On a somewhat-related sidenote: I'm going to wear out the "next blog" button up at the top of the page before anyone else gets to use it. I highly recommend pressing it a few times before I do and see what turns up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great quote! I was always taught that pride in any form was an evil. But you make it clear that when I act as a generous person, then my pride is not an evil, but it is the natural consequence of living as a generous human being. May your tribe increase.

10/28/2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Pride in itself isn't a bad thing. It has positive and negative connotations just like anything else.

It's when self-pride develops into self-righteousness or conceit that you have a problem.

10/28/2005 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home