Love in an Elevator
Monday, March 13, 2006
American strangers do not like to cozy up to one another. We're a culture of personal space. If you don't believe me, look at the seating arrangement in a fast food restaurant. People are like fine-tuned computers, seeking the booth or table with the furthest proximity to someone they don't know.

That's why elevators are so humorous. If you remove the transportation aspect, they're really just tiny rooms. Where else would people be comfortable walking into a room and standing, completely quiet, with a group of strangers?

It's even stranger when there are only two of us in one of these rooms. I have an internal urge to dialogue with this quasi-intimate stranger, but I know that no meaningful conversation can take place before the fifth floor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Wanna have some fun? Go into an elevator, fix your eyes on the floor indicator (as everyone does) Then turn 180 degrees, and stand looking at the same spot on the wall behind you. Say nothing. Act like you're still facing forward. Be sure to count the dings so you don't miss your floor.

Everyone gets disturbed, but no one will say a thing.

Yeharr

3/13/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

You know, everyone does always face the sameish direction in an elevator. Another fun (read: uncomfortable) trick would be the last person to rush into a crowded elevator and stand facing the people already in there.

3/13/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I grew up around Toronto Canada and learned pretty early on to avoid eye contact with strangers. When we'd drive at night, my parents would tell my sister and me to lock our doors.

Then I moved to Winnipeg. People here are uber-friendly. They stop you on the street, give you a hearty hand shake and a "good day." Freaks me out everytime. I instinctively grab for my wallet.

8/07/2006 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home