That Useless Internet
Friday, August 11, 2006
Anyone that knows me personally knows that I love the internet. It's unfathomable how much information I have absorbed online that would not be easily obtained in a strictly offline world. Sometimes I even print off random web pages, pile them up on the floor, and roll around in them Scrooge McDuck style.

I'm also close to mastering Google fu. Given a question or topic, I can generally find relevant information through carefully sculpted and refined search queries. If I'm in a restaurant and hear a song that I like, I will listen carefully for a specific phrase that I can later search for.

Therein lies one of the things I cannot easily find: sound.

A couple months ago, a friend and I were talking about a song that we remembered from high school. We only remembered some visuals from the video, the general sound of the chorus, and a few generic lyrics. I went home that night with a personal mission to find the song. I found it some time around 4:00am.

I'm stuck if I like the sound of a song but don't have any lyrics. You can't search on "That song with the quick tempo that goes 'dunna dunna dunna dunt'".

Well, you can, but you won't find the song, "Say Anything" by Shane McAnally.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

There's actually a site that will, if you have a mic, search for music exactly that way. I remember seeing a story on it on that non-interactive computer thingy in the corner. Whatsitcalled. TV. yeah that thing.

Aparently, you can whistle, hum, or even just tap out a rhythm, and it searches through its database for songs that are similar.

Just wish I could remember the name of the site.

Oh, and have you ever gone to pandora.com? It's one of my favorite music sites...you enter a song or an artist you like, and it finds music by other artists it considers similar. And it's interactive. If you disagree with it's choice, it will skip that song, and further refine its selections.

And where the hell have you been since April?

Yeharr

8/11/2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

On sound-smart websites: Hm. I can't imagine that working very well. Maybe some day my dreams will be fully realized, though. You've given me hope.

On Pandora: Love it. I've found some great music and artists there I may never have listened to otherwise.

On going MIA: Gone through a couple job changes, but otherwise just laziness. I actually considered writing as a career for a while, but figured out how difficult it is to write a long, consistent, compelling piece of prose, rather than my rambling, disjointed, commatosed (sic) nonsense I display here.

8/11/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

The fact that you mentioned Scrooge McDuck in your post has raised my level of intrest in anything you post immeasurably.

Yay for Moms.

Yay for not abbreviating my name.

8/15/2006 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home