When I Grow Up
Thursday, August 03, 2006
When I grow up, I want to be a photographer, artist, scientist, musician, bartender, entrepeneur, gardener, actor, chef, writer, theologian, teacher, and financial consultant.

Unfortunately, companies (and salaries) tend to frown on someone leaving after six months to pursue other ventures.

I have found some of my actual jobs vaguely interesting, but not enough to excite me. I seem to be in a career rut, but by my own choosing. My proverbial "rock" is that I am logical, intelligent, have a technological understanding, and IT jobs are easy to find. The "hard place" is that I'd rather be doing something else, as evidenced by my opening sentence, but these careers would require things that I do not currently have.

It's essentially a problem of risk, ambition, and effort. Where does someone find the perfect balance between the disasterous extremes of career mediocrity and insanity?

5 Comments:

Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Let me know when you find out. I am on my second career and have a goal of at least two more.

Thanks for stopping at my blog and thanks for the kind comments.

8/04/2006 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself have a similar predicament nowadays. I want to change careers but I'm afraid that if I leave my job, I won't have enough money to support my family. If I don't leave my job, I'll just get stuck there forever. I believe that every thing we do and every person we meet has a purpose in our lives. Don't forget to follow your heart.
And thanks for dropping by on my blog and posting a comment. :-) See ya around!

8/05/2006 12:44 AM  
Blogger Clint said...

That's almost the exact position I'm in, ladybug.

I was unemployed for about a week, and looking for jobs that I could 'love'. They were difficult to find. The tech jobs, however, were begging me to take their money.

8/05/2006 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have sworn you said you'd look into the acting thing:)
Keep a day job, and get an outrageous hobby to make you feel better.

8/06/2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Look kids, it's a Moggie!

Yeah, I do need to look into a community acting group. Maybe if you keep bugging me about it I'll actually do it.

8/06/2006 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home