Gray Matters
Friday, November 04, 2005
All of this talk about memory has had me contemplating the stuff inside my head. I realized something while doing this, and am prepared to share my epiphany with you. Brace yourself friend.

Think about your brain for a few seconds. Now picture what it looks like: a big gray lumpy thing.

Isn't it intriguing that you're thinking about your own brain with your own brain? When you visualize it, you're extracting that image from an actual big gray lumpy thing. It's like flipping through your wallet to find a picture of your wallet! Well, not exactly like that unless your brain is visible, but you get the gist. Recognize that you're now thinking about retrieving an image of a brain from your brain with your brain. Trippy, huh?

The only people still interested are stoned or hungry zombies, so that's enough brain-talk for now.

Feel free to carry a picture of a wallet in your wallet as a brain conversation-starter, though. Eventually people will start thinking you're smart and captivatingly odd, like that scientist guy from Jurassic Park with the dark hair and glasses.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Dude--I love the way you think. Better yet: A picture of a picture of a wallet in your wallet.

One night when I was a hungry zombie in college I had a similar epiphany: I realized that after a hearty laugh, it is impossible to do or say anything without first doing a happy sigh. You know the one:

AAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhh....

This was such an amazing revelation that I had to tell my friend Phil, who luckily had just walked into my room. But as I tried to explain it to him, it struck me as so funny that I started to laugh.

A hearty laugh.

And so afterwards, before I could tell him what was funny, I had to do the happy sigh.

AAAAAAaaaaahhhhhh.....

Which was funny, because I wanted to tell him that after a hearty laugh, you couldn't do anything without the happy sigh. It was sooo funny that I started to laugh again.

A hearty laugh.

A quarter-century later, Phil says that sitting there watching me dissolve in laughter over apparantly nothing for several hours was still one of the most enjoyable evenings in his life.

I never did tell him. How can I? I'll start laughing again.

AAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh....

Yeharr

11/04/2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

That sounds like a dangerous loop to get stuck in-- especially if you forget to breath inbetween the laugh and sigh.

Be careful!

If you had a picture of a picture of your wallet in your wallet, that would be another interesting conversation piece.

"I like my wallet. I've got a picture of it if you want to see it."

Pull out wallet. Pull out picture. Point to picture in picture. Hearty laugh. Breath. Sigh.

11/04/2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Dagnabit! I'm always forgetting to breathe!

Although it does help sometimes.

Like when I'm underwater.

Other than that,it's a serious hindrance to my social life.

Yeharr

11/05/2005 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home