Do You Like ______? Part II
Monday, November 14, 2005
I didn't realize when I was writing Bueno Paja that I would be able to do a sequel. Doesn't have anything to do with straws or tex-mex, but the question I was posed: Do you like skeletons?

Just last week, as I was letting out the cutest little hell-spawn, I had a conversation with a neighbor. I don't see him or his truck often, so I don't know him at all. I give a polite, "How're ya doin'" as I walk to the mailbox. On my return, he calls me over to ask a question:

"Do you like mistletoe?"

Again, I was somewhat speechless as to how to answer this question. I thought to myself, "Surely he's talking about a local band or something." Before I could thoroughly think that line of reasoning through, I lamely responded, "Never heard of them."

"You don't know the story behind mistletoe?"

"Oh, the plant? Yeah, for like Christmas."

"Well, you can hang it over a door and get kisses. I've got some in the back of my truck if you want to break off a piece."

I really should have dropped it at this point, but I tried to redeem any possible normalcy in the conversation. I decided he must have removed the mistletoe from a tree because he is in some form of landscaping. Faking curiousity in his profession, I asked, "Isn't mistletoe a parasite?"

He responded, "Well yeah, but most people just like it for gettin' kisses." I correctly nodded and went my own way, unsure who he desired to "get kisses" from.

There are a lot of things that sound fine in the "Do you like ____" blank. Rap, coffee, trees, babies, the McRib, Ike, etc. Skeletons and mistletoe do not.

How appropriate would it be if I started a band named "Skeletons and Mistletoe"?
S&M Fan 1: Do you like "Skeletons and Mistletoe"?
S&M Fan 2: Yeah, dude, they rock!

4 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

Thanks for that, freckles. Now I'm going to have nightmares where I'm trapped in a maze full of doors with mistletoe and some guy following me around asking me if I like them.

11/14/2005 9:31 PM  
Blogger musing said...

Hey, you could even call the band, "S & M"? Edgy, huh!

11/17/2005 6:16 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

I guess I'm lucky that instead of being predictable I just stuttered something random.

I don't even want to know how to "mistle". Thanks for the bizarre and unpleasant thought process, though.

11/17/2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

I was going to play it cool and pretend like I understood what you were saying about your horse.

11/18/2005 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home